Monday, January 30, 2012

I'm not stupid, son, really; I just don't live and breathe through my computer

I am the first to admit that I am not computer savvy, in spite of owning numerous electronic data devices.  That being said, I did work in the data processing field back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and computers were housed in ROOMS that held less processing abilities than currently are contained in the average cellphone.  It's not that I'm not capable of understanding the functions and inner-workings of computers...OK, it's that and MORE.  I just don't have the energy, time OR inclination to submerse myself in all that is computer. 

I have a great deal of difficulty dealing with my 27 year old son with this dilemma.  This is a child that practically teethed on a computer keyboard.  When he was 6, we bought him a used computer with a tiny monitor from a friend that was upgrading their system.  A few hours after we gave it to him, he was cheerfully playing 'Oregon Trail' and later in the evening, when we realized that the house was MUCH too quiet, we went looking for him.  He was discovered in his basement 'boy cave' happily watching color TV on his new computer monitor.  I asked him how it did it and I got what was to become a familiar eye-roll and *sigh*..."Well, Mom", he said, "I just ran the lines through the VCR and connected it to the cable TV outlet."  I was slack-jawed and asked him who taught him how to do THAT and he said "No one; I just DID it and it worked".  I could read the "DUH, Mom!  How come you're so stupid?!"  Things haven't gotten much better in the last 20 years.  My son graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering with a double minor in Computer Science and Physics.  He is from Mars, I am from Venus with a degree in Secondary Education with an emphasis in Social Studies.  When I have problems with my computer system I still hesitate calling my son for fear I'll get the *sigh* and eye-roll; in fact, I have contacted friends as far away as Germany to get help before I call sonny boy.  He's a great son but needs more empathy for his poor computer-ignorant Mother.  Maybe after I retire I'll get the hang of this computer stuff and be able to figure out how I just managed to skew the screen and accidentally post something to someone else's blog instead of my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment